If you like MSG, nitrates, refined sugar, and “natural flavors,” well then hey, just buy some sausage at the store!
Unfortunately, even most local farmers and ranchers that have the local meat processing plant make sausage out of their meat have these nasty ingredients added to it. I find any sausage or processed meat to be a one-way ticket to indigestion and that headachy, sluggish feeling of having consumed way too many additives.
This homemade sausage, which takes all of 5 minutes and just a few dollars to make, will divorce you from the bad habit of buying pre-made sausages forever. There are very few things you can make in your home kitchen that are more versatile, cheap, easy to make, and popular amongst friends and family members than this simple homemade sausage.
- 1 part ground pork to 1 part ground fatty beef (73% lean used in the video below) – a pound of each makes a big batch. 2 pounds of each like I do in the video makes a monster batch!
- Fat wad of fresh-chopped oregano (dried will do, but is not even close to as tasty)
- Several minced garlic cloves or 2T of garlic powder
- Spicy Italian chile flakes or cayenne pepper to desired spiciness
- Pinch of cumin or fennel seeds (optional)
- Pinch of chili powder or mild dried red chiles (optional)
- Lots of salt
- Mix it all up
- Cook a small piece to make sure the sausage is both spicy and salty enough to taste Juuusssst right.
Cook with eggs for breakfast, eat patties as a full-on meat portion, make “dirty rice,” and whatever else you have to do to enjoy this sausage. Most of this sausage batch made it on top of 2 nasty-good homemade pizzas covered with all kinds of junk for a small Toy Story party we hosted the other night. Yeah, I’m really that lame in real life. Sausage video below: